Monday, July 14, 2014

Aren't You Just A Peach?!

Now I have a little personal issue, when I get hooked on something my mind can not stop running with all the different possibilities just waiting to be explored. In order to calm it I have to research the item and that is exactly what happened this week with peaches.

I love summer for the activities, sun, and fresh fruit that is available, especially peaches. I just can't get enough of this small, sweet and juicy golden fruit. I wish that is was freshly available all year long. Peaches are one of those fruits that you can do so many things with from making jam, to ice cream, to making a marinade.


Nerd Alert!!!! I am sorry if I am going to bore you, I am a foodie and lover of history so I can't help myself but research about an ingredients' history. So here it goes:

1. Even though Georgia is called "The Peach State", peaches actually originated in China.

2. That's right, they have been around since the 10th Century B.C. and spread across the western world via the Silk Road.

3. The peach tree and blossom hold significance in the Chinese culture.

4. The importance of peaches to many cultures have been depicted across time through art, sculptures, and folk tales. One such tale is the Peaches of Immortality

5. China is the largest peach producer in the world, followed closely behind by Italy. (I am part Italian so maybe that's why I love them so much)

6. A peach contains less than 70 calories, 3 grams of fiber and is a good source of vitamins A and C.

7. "The World's Largest Peach Cobbler" is made in Georgia every year and measures 11 feet by 5 feet. (My question is where did they get the pan from?)

8. Peaches are best from June through August, so get them while you can.

As I have been thinking about writing this post for the past week it seems like every day I opened my e-mail there was a new one from Real Simple, Foodie, or Food & Wine with recipe ideas for peaches. Now if you are anything like me, one click on a post just opens up a door to a never ending black hole of link after link.



I mean don't they just look delicious?!
These are just some of the links and recipes that have caught my eye recently:




Roasted Peaches with Mascarpone Ice Cream : This is the one I really want to make. Mascarpone cheese is another one of my favorite ingredients that you can use in desserts or pasta sauce. The decadent richness of the ice cream and the flavor of the peaches brought out through roasting just take the dessert to a whole other level.




I could go on and on but do yourself and me a favor, find one recipe with peaches that spikes your interest and commit to making it. Try something new and step out of your comfort zone, you will be so glad you did. And don't forget to let me know how it goes.



Research found on:
http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/features/peach-10-healthy-facts
http://www.thenibble.com/reviews/main/fruits/peach-facts.asp
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peach

No comments:

Post a Comment