Sunday, September 11, 2011

Gone But Never Forgotten

Ten years ago today, I was a 13 year old military kid getting ready to fly out the next day because we were moving to New Jersey. We were at a friends house for dinner that night I remember seeing the tower and smoke on the tv. Our dads did not come home till around 11 that night because they had completely shut down the base and did on let anyone on or off. I don't think I realized the mass impact of what had happened and what this meant or the future. To me it just meant that we were not flying out the next and I could see my friends again. You see I had never lived in the states before and so I did not realize the effects of the terrorist acts on the United States and the world. Not only did the lives of Americans living in the United States change but the lives of those overseas changed too. The whole World was affected. I have often wondered what would have happened if we were meant to fly out the 11th instead of the 12th, but this is a question that will never be answered.

I thank those people on Flight 93 who risked their lives to save hundreds of people. I thank the firefighters, policemen, volunteers and doctors who searched, rescued and cared for survivors so that they would be able to live another day. I thank the soldiers who through all of this were affected most of all in their careers and who risked their lives daily after this event to protect this country and others. But above all, I thank the LORD for protecting the many who survived that day and most of all for sending his Son to die on the cross for us sinners, who because of HIM we may one day rejoice in heaven with many of those who died that day and in the years since at the feet of the Lord Almighty.

No comments:

Post a Comment