Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Weihnachts Markt

Christmas in Germany is so different than in the United States. I find that it is much more festive and there is more to the Holidays for people than shopping and running around everywhere. It is a time of family, friends, Celebrating the birth of Christ and the spirit of joy and happiness that this season brings.

On Sunday my family and drove down to the Stuttgart Weihnachts Markt (Christmas Market), our favorite one. The downtown shopping center and courtyard is packed with stalls of food, wood engravings, warm weather accessories, kitchen goods, candles, smokers, nutcrackers...etc. and even an ice skating rink. We took the U-bahn down to Koenigsstrasse and had an enjoyable bratwurst on brotchen with mustard once reaching the market. I ran into my good friend Tamara and her family downtown and we caught up later that evening before my family returned to Ramstein. It was great to see her. I miss her so much. I need to get better at calling and e-mailing people. One person I did not see but wish I had was Michelle W.

We walked around the christmas market for at least 2 hours; enjoying the smells, food, hand crafted goods, decorations and gluhwein. Gluhwein is a traditional spiced wine that is drunk warm at christmas time. It warms one from the inside out. I also ate a nice helping of cheese spaetzle...it was delicious. To end out the night, it started snowing, which simply added to the whole experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment