Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Cookie Exhange

It's almost the end of the week and I fly out tomorrow to go home for Christmas. I'm sooooo excited. I can't wait to see my family and friends, go to the Christmas Markets, drink Gluhwein, enjoy the snow....it's going to be so much fun :)

Tonight I was invited to Norm and Cheryl's house for a cookie exchange. There were sooo many cookies, I'm not quite sure what I am going to do with them all or if they will even let me take them on the plane. (Maybe I can bribe the guards and flight attendants with them.) Anyway, I made Pfeffernusse, a German cookie. They are basically flour, molasses, sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg shaped into balls and baked, and then rolled in powdered sugar. They are really good. The other cookies consisted of gingersnaps, sugar cookies, maple cookies, jelly cookies, peanut butter graham cracker chocolate cookies (made by Alissa Graham) and clumps of pretzels coated in chocolate (can't remember the name). They all looked delicious and it was a lot of fun. Norm and Cheryl are such hospitable, funny people and they have such a cute log cabin house.

So today was my roommate, Alissa's first time melting chocolate and it was a disaster. First she tried a double boiler, but she didn't realize that the water was not supposed to touch the bottom of the top pot, so the chocolate just formed a clump. Then she tried putting it in the microwave and it just got worse from there. Needless to say it was a funny spectacle.

If you have never done or been to a cookie exchange, you should definitely do one. It is interesting to see the and taste the different cookies and it is fun fellowship time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment